[Click] FromDevice (OS-X) buffering up packets...

Giorgio Calarco giorgio.calarco at unibo.it
Tue Jul 20 13:57:06 EDT 2010

hi all,

having bursts of packets and increased jitter does not only depends on
the Click itself, but also from the queueing at the NIC FIFO. The PCI
bus is indeed fair (in the sense that it serves each peripheral
with a token passing policy), but once the peripheral acquires
access onto the bus, it's not time-limited in any way. If the bus
occupancy probability is high, for any reason, the NICs tend to accumulate
packets in their internal FIFO and once they can start the DMA
transfer, they move all the packets back-to-back, generating
a burst. I 'm not sure if this is your case (which hardware are you using ?
could the bus possibly be close to saturation ?),
 anyway, you can find more details in one of the second (?) chapther
of my past PhD
thesis (it's published on the Click site - Publications).
Hope it can help in some way.

Ciao, Giorgio