[Click] Release Click Router Windows XP port

Jeroen Hoebeke jeroen.hoebeke at intec.ugent.be
Fri Jan 15 03:13:26 EST 2010

Hello Beyers,

On SyClick I presented throughput numbers obtained using our VPAN software (throughput using IPSec over UDP over a 100 Mbit link)
- Linux userlevel: 87,5 Mbit/s
- Windows with NDIS driver: 6,3 Mbit/s
- Windows with WinPCAP driver (I used WinPCAP in the first version of my port): 2 Mbit/s

So, the performance is high enough for many practical applications, but cannot be compared at all with the performance obtained in Linux. Main reason: the NDIS driver is a sample driver from the Windows Device Driver kit. It is not at all optimized for achieving high throughput. Improving this driver could boost performance IMHO.

Kind regards,
Jeroen