[Click] Compiling module with unpatched kernel

Lars Bro lbro at pulz8.com
Mon Feb 15 13:03:00 EST 2010

Hi,

I am in the process of testing Click with an unpatched Linux kernel.

It seems that it is possible to configure and compile Click with linux
2.6.31.12, and running a simple script like:

TimedSource(INTERVAL 1) -> Print() -> Discard();

does not make any problem.

However, compiling Click for 2.6.32.8 needs some updates to fixincludes.pl.
There is for example a problem with "notrace" in rcupdate.h

But I also need to be able to compile my own modules, and this seems to be a
lot more difficult. I have ued used "samplepackage" from click/etc, and now,
files like autoconf.h and skbuff.h cannot be found. It is of coure possible
to add $(clicklinux_srcdir)/include tro the -I flags, but then other files
are missing(like asm/x86/...). I guess, it must be possible to do it the
same way as for "linuxmodule", since here it certainly _is_ possible to
compile elements. So, I would like if "samplepackage" could be updated with
a suitable Makefile or procedure to follow.

I suggest that we agree on a Linux kernel / GCC version to test with. I have
currently 2.6.31.12/GCC 4.3.2 on Debian Lenny. However, the next long term
support kernel is as far as I can see 2.6.32, so I would prefer working with
that.

How should we proceed?

yours,
Lars Bro