[Click] Userlevel versus Linuxmodule

Beyers Cronje bcronje at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 03:51:46 EDT 2010

Hi Italo,

By default in userlevel using FromDevice the kernel will also process the
packets. However there is a workaround using the following FromDevice config
parameter:

*SNIFFER*Boolean. Specifies whether
FromDevice<http://read.cs.ucla.edu/click/elements/fromdevice> should
run in sniffer mode. In non-sniffer mode,
FromDevice<http://read.cs.ucla.edu/click/elements/fromdevice>
 installs KernelFilter
<http://read.cs.ucla.edu/click/elements/kernelfilter> filtering
rules to block the kernel from handling any packets arriving on device
DEVNAME. Default is true (sniffer mode).

So setting SNIFFER to false will block the kernel from handling packets as
well.

Beyers