[Click] NSClick patch for NS-2.34

Wim Vandenberghe wim.vandenberghe at intec.ugent.be
Thu Sep 3 09:47:01 EDT 2009

Hello,

i have created an update of the NSClick patch for NS-2.34, since the
last patch was developed for NS-2.30, which was released almost three
years ago. I created the new patch by manually going through every
change defined by the patch, and applied small adjustments, mostly just
different context lines, whenever necessary. Further testing and
validation of the patched NS-2.34 install also led to some minor changes
to the patch, which can be found in attachment.

It should be mentioned that I did not change all line number references,
only the amount of lines before and after for each patch hunk. Therefore
the output during patching mentions an offset for several parts of the
patch. This is not a problem, normally the patch can be successfully
deployed on a fresh ns-2.34 install. I tested with a clean NS-2.34
allinone installation and a checkout of the Click 1.6 release taken
somewhere in February 2009 (since we are using this checkout with some
specific adjustments in our current research project). The patch can be
applied without any problems, the patched NS compiles fine both with and
without debug support, and when running ./validate in the ns directory,
it concludes that all tests passed. When running the
nsclick-simple-wlan.tcl script, the output also seems normal.

However, i think that the Click functionality should be tested more
thoroughly before the patch can be seen as final. Therefore i would like
to ask if some members of the Click community would like to run some
more advanced NSClick scenarios that they are familiar with, and compare
the results for using the old patch with NS-2.30, and the new one with
NS-2.34, to see if everything is working as expected (especially
combined with Click 1.7 instead of 1.6).

Another interesting topic is the fact that the NS-2.34 contains a
profound revision of the 802.11 MAC implementation, the 802_11ext
implementation (see
http://dsn.tm.uni-karlsruhe.de/english/Overhaul_NS-2.php). It would be
very interesting if this MAC implementation would also support the
integration with Click. I am planning to have a look at this, but will
not have the time for this in the near future. Maybe someone else from
the community would be interested to have a look at it in the meanwhile?

Kind regards,

Wim

--
Wim Vandenberghe