[Click] read and write handlers

Eddie Kohler kohler at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Mar 27 12:00:30 EDT 2009

Sure.  In developing Clicky, I found it very useful for Click to communicate
more information about individual handlers (so that Clicky would make an
appropriate GUI).  The extra characters communicate that information.

So far the extra characters are:

+         read handler takes parameters
%         handler is raw (essentially obsolete)
.         handler is "calm" (value will not change in normal operation;
           also essentially obsolete)
$         handler is expensive to calculate (GUI shouldn't ask for it by
           default)
U         handler is uncommon (GUI should hide it by default)
D         handler is deprecated and may be removed in a future release
           (and GUI should hide it by default)
b         write handler takes no arguments and acts like a pushbutton
           (GUI renders it as a pushbutton; example: reset)
c         write handler takes a boolean value (GUI renders as checkbox)

These can be set with the corresponding Handler:: constants.

Eddie