[Click] C++ Exceptions in Linux kernel

Nikolay Mitev face.mitev at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 15:59:06 EST 2009

Eddie Kohler wrote:
> Click specifically does not support exceptions.
Yes, I know. I'm actually basing my project on a modified click build
system (great work BTW). But my question is _why_ does no support? Too
difficult? Impossible? You don't need no stinkin' exceptions :) ?

> A team at Reykjavik University did get C++ exceptions working in the
> Linux kernel, but their website, netlab.ru.is, appears to be down;
> maybe the Internet Archive would have a version.
Yes, I found that one too. Although their web site is down, I found
MOOL, whith is based on that codebase. Unfortunately, it is based on a
very old gcc and very old kernel. What I'm shooting for is 2.6.28+ and
gcc 4.3+ with dwarf2 EH. I've made some progress, but now I'm stuck on
stack unwinding, so I really need to know if this is possible at all
without major modifications to the kernel itself. I'de really appreciate
any kind of info on the matter. Thanks.

cheers,
face