[Click] Uniform handler interface?

Björn Smedman bjorn.smedman at venatech.se
Thu Mar 5 06:06:36 EST 2009

Hi,

We have some click router configurations that I am trying to move from
kernel-space to user-space. Making the switch was as simple as changing the
command we use to load the configuration from "click-install" to "click". We
where very impressed to find this complex router config with custom elements
and all working exactly as before without a single change to either config
or code. :)

But the handler interface differences seem to require manual work. We have a
control process that interacts with the click router through handlers (both
read and write), and the interface to these handlers has changed completely
after the move to user-space. In kernel-space we used the clickfs handler to
file mappings. In user-space it seems we have to use ControlSocket.

Is it possible to use ControlSocket in kernel-space as well? Is there some
"best practice" for interacting with router configs that can be moved freely
between user- and kernel-space? It seems to me that this is such a
compelling feature (to be able to debug in user-space and then move to
kernel for better performance) that it would be worth while to abstract the
handler interface.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Björn