[Click] Linuxmodule crosscompile

Eddie Kohler kohler at cs.ucla.edu
Mon Jun 15 12:39:25 EDT 2009

Sascha,

Sascha Alexander Jopen wrote:
> Ok, thats bad news.
> But what is the problem in supporting 2.6.25?
> The problems i described are not kernel but configure script related.
> And if there are kernel problems, too, maybe i could solve them. The
> only patch part i couldn't apply so far, was one with an error message
> regarding preemption in spinlock_types.h, but that should have no
> functional consequences.
> So why is the kernel mode not supported?

I think Yongheng misspoke; if a patch applies, then that's not the problem.  I
suspect the problem is something that Harald Schiöberg mentioned years ago,
namely that you have supplied a CXXFLAGS argument for the target compiler, but
Click's configure scripts are passing those arguments to the *build* compiler,
which doesn't recognize them.

This is a stupid problem and I don't know the right way to fix it long term.
(Any bright ideas, anyone?)  But a workaround is to not set CXXFLAGS.  Instead
set CXX, to something like CXX="name-of-your-compiler CXXFLAGS".

Eddie