[Click] FromHost Click v1.6

Cliff Frey cliff at meraki.com
Tue Aug 4 14:34:33 EDT 2009

If you are using the linux "brctl" bridge to bridge multiple ethernet
devices, you can actually do this in click with an EtherSwitch element.

You can do something like

switch :: EtherSwitch;
FromDevice(eth0) -> [0] switch [0] -> ToDevice(eth0);
FromDevice(eth1) -> [1] switch [1] -> ToDevice(eth1);
FromDevice(eth2) -> [2] switch [2] -> ToDevice(eth2);
FromHost(lbr) -> [3] switch [3] -> ToHost(lbr);

If you then want to hook up click elements to the switch as well, you can do
that too... something like

define(CLICK_IP 1.2.3.4);
define(CLICK_MAC 00:01:02:03:04:05);
ar :: ARPResponder($CLICK_IP $CLICK_MAC);
arpq :: ARPQuerier($CLICK_IP, $CLICK_MAC);
ping_r :: ICMPPingResponder;

switch [4]
-> arp_cl :: Classifier(12/0800, 12/0806 20/0001, 12/0806 20/0002);

arp_cl [0]
-> CheckIPHeader(14)
-> IPClassifier(proto icmp type echo dst $CLICK_IP)
-> ping_r
-> arpq
-> [4] switch;

arp_cl [1] -> ar;
arp_cl [2] -> [1] arpq;

I'm sure that there are typos in the above config... but the general idea
should work.

This is also a great way to play with click even if you have only one
ethernet card.  You can just drop the lines about eth1/eth2, and use
ToHost(eth0)/FromHost(eth0).  This will essentially not change your linux
setup, but will add a click router between your linux machine and the
network...

You might need to recompile click with appropriate configure options to get
the EtherSwitch element, I'm not sure.

Cliff