[Click] Need for DCCP

Lars Bro lbro at pulz8.com
Tue Oct 14 05:06:07 EDT 2008

Hi,

I would like to use DCCP, and thus need to write the code for a DCCP
socket element. This might be useful for others than me, so I would just
like to know if anybody else are interested.

But:
it does not seem to be a trivial task to just derive a DCCP socket from
the original Socket code. The DCCP code needs to be intermixed with the
TCP and UDP code, and there are a lot of test whether it is SOCK_STREAM
(where the DCCP socket will be SOCK_DCCP). Is this the way to do it, or
would it be feasible to make a general Socket class where one could
overwrite the connect(), accept(), send() and recv() methods.

As far as I can read from the code, connect() is called through the
initialize() function, and I am not completely happy with that. I would
rather like connect() to be called through the select() loop with a
proper timeout policy, so that connect and reconnect could happen as
part as the normal lifecycle of the Socket element.

Any suggestions?

yours,
Lars Bro