[Click] KernelTun vs KernelTap

Eddie Kohler kohler at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Jul 22 18:33:30 EDT 2008

Hi,

- Use KernelTap if you want to handle Ethernet types other than IP.
- Use KernelTun if you're just interested in IP functionality.
- Since KernelTun generates IP packets only, there is no need to respond to
ARP queries.  In fact you will not see any ARP queries -- you will only see IP
packets.

Eddie