[Click] Help on feedback of transmitted packets

Harald Schiöberg harald at net.t-labs.tu-berlin.de
Fri Jul 4 04:02:28 EDT 2008

aka aka wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am using latest version of click (user level ) with madwifi drivers
> (0.9.4) on wireless nodes running Ubuntu linux (2.6.22-14). I have setup a
> very simple testbed of three wireless nodes which are communicating in
> "adhoc" mode in 802.11b.  On one wireless node, I want to record statistics
> of  transmitted packets: retried, acked, or dropped. After going through
> click and madiwifi documentation (including madwifi stripped) and related
> mailing lists,  I had written several variation of click script files to get
> the feedback about transmitted packets. However,  I have not been
> successful.  I have gone through lot of documentation before posting  the
> question.
>
> I also wanted to use old madwifi drivers (stripped) as given on the "
> http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/~jbicket/madwifi.stripped/". However, the "README"
> file in the driver directory asks to patch the linux kernel before compiling
> the driver. As i could not find the required patch for the kernel
> (2.6.22-14) i am running, i could not try it, and have been using userlevel
> click.

the stripped driver is not needed anymore, as madwifi "monitor"
virtual-interfaces do the same thing.

set up your device using "wlanconfig ... wlanmode monitor ..."

you also want to run
echo '804' > /proc/sys/net/ath0/dev_type

http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs/MonitorModeInterface
gives an explanation why.

obviously you'll have to build your own "adhoc" mode using
beaconsources/trackers, a rate selector, .....