[Click] Getting polling to work

Lucian Popa popa at cs.berkeley.edu
Fri Jan 18 13:02:17 EST 2008

Hi,

I'm using click on some machines that have two types of gigabit ethernet
interfaces:
Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5715 Gigabit Ethernet
and
nVidia Corporation MCP55 Ethernet (also Gigabit)

Is there a way to get polling to work for them? Are all results that
people post using Intel's e1000?

I get throughputs of 120-200k packets/s (using 84Byte packets) with
FromDevice ... is this common? do you what would be an upper bound?

Thanks a lot.

PS. also click causes a kernel panic on high throughputs for longer
periods (over 10M packets) ... it is a SMP problem for which I did not
get much data cause I'm logging in remotely and syslog does not show it,
though I get it also without multithreading support so I guess it is
probably not from click but from the eth driver
PS2. Also, with multithreading or not the results are the same