[Click] correct setup for click and madwifi

David Fuste dfuste at ac.upc.edu
Mon Feb 25 06:37:13 EST 2008

Hi Daniel,

Daniel Kellenberger wrote:
> hello together
>
> For my master thesis I'm trying to get click and the madwifi driver
> working and I'm not sure about the correct setup. Can anybody confirm
> following steps? I hope these will help other guys faced with the same
> problem. How do I have to configure the madwifi driver to read packages
> with FromDevice and ToDevice?
>
> Since the newest patch for the kernel is the one for 2.6.19, I got the
> vanilla kernel 2.6.19.7 and applied the patch with:
> patch -p0 -b < CLICKDIR/etc/linux-2.6.19.2-patch
> Compiled the new kernel.

Not necessary if you only want to use click in userlevel mode...
> Then I compiled and installed the madwifi driver 0.9.4 which works quite
> fine.
>
> Finally i compiled and installed the click router with following
> configurations:
>
> ./configure --enable-test --enable-wifi --enable-intel-cpu --enable-analysis
> make
> sudo make install

If you want to add your own elements to click, I recommend you to add
"--enable-local" to the configure command.
Type "./configure --help" to see the full list of options...

> Then i saw, that I have to change the mode to the monitor mode, is that
> right?
Yes, it is right, but only if you want to capture the packets in their
802.11 format. Monitor mode allows you to obtain all the packets the
wireless card receives, not only data frames but also control and
management frames, and all of them with their IEEE 802.11 header.
If you only want to obtain data packets, it is not necessary to put your
wireless card in monitor mode. You can use it in Managed or Adhoc mode
(depending on your need) and then, you will be able to obtain the data
packets with IEEE 802.3 header.
> That sould be done with:
> wlanconfig ath0 destroy
> wlanconfig ath create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode monitor
> ifconfig athX up
> -> After destroying and creating the number gets larger and larger, so
> that at the moment my new device would be "ath15". Did someone here got
> the same effect?

Yes, I have the same effect...in fact, I am in ath190 ;-)
Don't worry about this effect...use an script to automatically change
the device in the .click file.
> Is it neccessary to change the received packed header to the "Atheros
> Descriptors" with:
> echo '804' > /proc/sys/net/athX/dev_type?

No, you can use also radiotap headers or prism headers.
It depends on which fields you want to obtain from this extra header
(SNR,...), and how you will use it in the click configuration
file...only remember to strip the correct number of bytes depending on
which extra header the driver uses.

Good luck!

  0 0 0  David Fusté i Vilella       |    Dept. of Comp. Architecture
  0 0 0  Ph.D. Student               |    UPC-Campus Nord, D6-001
  0 0 0  email: dfuste at ac.upc.edu    |    C/ Jordi Girona, 1-3
  U P C  phone: 0034 93 401 67 83    |    08034 Barcelona - SPAIN
                www: http://personals.ac.upc.edu/dfuste/