[Click] scheduling at microsecond resolution

Ashish Sharma ashishs.sharma at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 19:08:14 EDT 2008

Hi Eddie,

I am curious to know how timers are implemented in Click.  I scanned through

the source code I found no references of kernel timers or hrtimers. Instead
I found that in lib/master.cc Click  maintains its own heap for timers and
runs
Master::run_timers in routerthread.cc

Correct me if I am wrong, but this is what my guess is regarding whats going
on.
Every time click thread gets scheduled in the kernel, all the timers in the
heap
are checked and the timers are woken up after they expire. Now this is
dependent
on how frequently Click gets scheduled, which should work better if it is
installed
as a kernel module.

Can you please elaborate on the timer implementation, and how Click's
approach
compare to using hrtimers or regular kernel timers? I am working on  a TDMA
MAC that sends out packets on the network with sub ms precision.

Thanks
Ashish