[Click] Kernel Module compilation for CLICK

Vishwas Dubey dubey.vishwas at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 06:42:39 EDT 2008

Hi Eddie,

I am not able to install CLICK-1.6.0 at kernel level. The latest patch that
I see in the CLICKDIR/etc directory is for linux-2.6.19.2 . Currently, I am
using linux-2.6.25.11-97.fc9.i686.

I downloaded linux-2.6.19.2 kernel source distribution from
www.kernel.organd tried to build the kernel after applying the desired
patch from
CLICKDIR/etc directory, but it was all invain coz I was not able to boot the
system from the new kernel. I always got the following errors while booting
the system:-

mount:could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
Switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory.

I did update grub.conf file as a last step of kernel building, but nothing
seemed to work. I also issued the setup (hd0) as well as reboot (to reboot
the grub) commands at the grub prompt but no use. I did refer online blogs
that list the same errors as mine. So far nothing seemed to have worked for
me. Also, when I applied linux-2.6.19.2-patch to linux-2.6.19.2 source
distribution from kernel.org, I got an error," PATH_MAX not defined in such
and such function", which I was able to rectify by supplying the value of
PATH_MAX as 4095. There were few more errors but they were related to arm
architecture and so I ignored them and was successful in applying the
desired patch. I used make menuconfig and then selected the default values
while configuring the kernel (What I did is that I just exit the GUI as soon
as it opened after issuing make menuconfig command, which saved .config file
in the working directory and following which I was able to build bzImage
from that .config file). I hope this is not the reason for system not being
able to boot from the new kernel. I even created the initrd.img instead of
using make install command by issuing the mkinitrd command from the command
prompt. I have repeatedly checked and verified that all the config files are
in their designated places.

I ,then, downloaded linux-2.6.16.13 source distribution and applied the
desired patch, but again I got the same errors as before. So, I decided to
install click at userlevel. But at userlevel too I am not able to run most
of the scripts from CLICKDIR/conf directory although I have set the
'PCAP_INCLUDES' and 'PCAP_LIBS' variables in the options to './configure'. I
get errors like such and such element class not found or is undeclared.
Here, I am not writing and compiling my own element classes but just trying
to run the sample scripts from CLICKDIR/conf directory. Also, when I install
click at userlevel I am not able to even execute any of the scripts as root.

Moreover, I am not able to install and use any of the tools from the
CLICKDIR/tools directory when I install click at userlevel.  I get errors
when I issue make install command for the tools in the CLICKDIR/tools
directory from their respective directories. It would be really great if you
can help me install and use CLICK.

Thanking you in anticipation,

Regards,
Vishwas.