[Click] [click] Selective dropping of packets

Pradeep Pradeep pradeep_addada at yahoo.co.in
Tue Apr 15 15:11:52 EDT 2008

Hi Everyone,
            I am working on an element which supports TIA-1039(QoS) signalling. As a part of it I need to do per-flow traffic policing. I am able to design a per-flow policer using Virtual scheduling algorithm. It decides that cetain packets(which are non corming to policing rate) sholud be discared. Strangely, I am facing problems for discarding non - conforming packets. I used p->kill() and return NULL . I am getting strange results. The number of packets which enter the run-time routine simple_action(packet *) if I don't use the 'packet discarding' is different from the number of packets which enter that routine in the case I use the discarding for non conforming packets. What I mean to say is, using p->kill() OR return NULL (for some packets) is reducing the the number of packets which enter the run-time routine ,simple_action(Packet *). The code is such that every packet enters the  simple_action(packet *) routine which contains the code for per-flow policing and
 dropping the non-conforming packets.  I do not understand how discarding certain packets in the router can effect the rate of emission. I used i-perf traffic to test the element. I am not sure if I am using the correct method of discaring packets.I need your quick help as the dead line for completing this policer is very near.

Regards,
Krishna Pradeep.
 between 0000-00-00 and 9999-99-99       <!--10--><hr size=1></hr> From Chandigarh to Chennai - find friends all over India. <a href="http://in.rd.yahoo.com/tagline_groups_10/*http://in.promos.yahoo.com/groups/citygroups/"> Click here.</a>