[Click] NotifierQueue on multi-threaded Click problem.

Joonwoo Park joonwpark81 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 16:38:29 EDT 2007

Yep.

2007/9/8, Eddie Kohler <kohler at cs.ucla.edu>:
> OK, too bad.
>
> I still doubt that replacing _head and _tail with atomic_uint32_t would fix
> the underlying problem.  The atomic_uint32_t, in kernel, is read with
> atomic_read() and written with atomic_set().  Here's how they are implemented
> on x86 (LINUX/include/asm-i386/atomic.h):
>
> typedef struct { volatile int counter; } atomic_t;
> #define atomic_read(v)          ((v)->counter)
> #define atomic_set(v,i)         (((v)->counter) = (i))
>
> I.e., just with reads and assignments!  Once we declare the _head and _tail
> variables as volatile, it's the same as atomic_uint32_t for reads and
> assignments.  (Atomic_uint32_t DOES make a difference for operations like +=,
> -=, &=, dec_and_test; but _head and _tail are never touched that way.)
>
> I am happy to be proved wrong, as usual; can you explain in more detail why
> atomic operations would help?  I am looking for a sample list of interleaved
> instructions that would cause an error.

Um. please understand the reason atomic_t worked to me as alternative
to volatile.
Being stupid, I didn't think that _tail and _head just do load & store
that can be run atomically.
BTW I'm running i386 so these load & store operations always run
atomically as like you said, but for other arch I think that atomic
type value would be needed.

> -*-
>
> But: There are some remaining places where I can see potential race conditions
> involving notification.  For example:
>
> Initial state:   _head = 0, _tail = 2, _capacity = 1000
> Thread 1 push(): int h = _head, t = _tail, nt = next_i(t);
>                  => int h = 0, t = 2, nt = 3;
>                  => Thread 1 sleeps
> Thread 2 pull(): (executes once)
>                  => _head = 1, _tail = 2
> Thread 2 pull(): (executes once)
>                  => _head = 2, _tail = 2
> Thread 2 pull(): (executes, returns null, _sleepiness++)
> Thread 2 pull(): => _empty_note.sleep()
> Thread 1 push(): => wakes up
>                  => executes "if (s == 1) _empty_note.wake();"
>                  => But s == 3!
>                  => So notifier is not woken, the bug happens.
>
> I have attached a diff to address these problems.  Does this do anything?
>
> Eddie

I can say that your patch has been working 10 hours!!, even though you
posted it just 10 mins before.
Because I have been testing patch similar to yours.

I have tried with
if (s == 1 || s == 2 || s ==3 )
_empty_note.wake();

And clear git src + your patch is working nicely too!!

Joonwoo Park