[Click] ELEMENT_PROVIDES question

Bart Braem bart.braem at ua.ac.be
Wed Oct 17 03:04:16 EDT 2007

On Wednesday 17 October 2007 07:00:20 Archit Gupta wrote:
> I have two C++ files which do not contain an element. I have placed
> them in the folder elements/ip/
> Both have the line ELEMENT_REQUIRES(..) and ELEMENT_PROVIDES(..)
>
> When I do a make install, they are not "found" - they are not compiled
> along with the other click code. Any tips on how to fix this? I am a
> click newbie so any ideas are welcome.

Here's how to add C++ code files that do not contain elements:
Make a header file that looks like:
#ifndef MYSPECIALHEADER_HH
#define MYSPECIALHEADER_HH

#include <click/whatyouneed.hh>

CLICK_DECLS

... // code

CLICK_ENDDECLS
ELEMENT_REQUIRES(MYSPECIALHEADER)

#endif

And create a matching .cc file:
#include <click/config.h> // do not forget this one
#include "myspecialheader.hh"

CLICK_DECLS

... //code

CLICK_ENDDECLS