[Click] Measuring

Giorgio Calarco giorgio.calarco at unibo.it
Tue Mar 6 04:42:20 EST 2007

just one thing: are you going to measure the
packet's delay/jitter inside your click configuration
or the global delay/jitter from the packet source to the
receiver ?

In the first case, the CycleCount elements can help you
(you can also modify the CycleCountAccum to collect the single delay of each
packet in a table - but that table cannot be too large,
bacause the kernel memory space is limited).

In the second case, you could
- sincronize the packet source and receiver with
some tool, but this could be helpful if you are interested
in an averaged measurement, usually this way doesn't
conduct to extreme precise measurements
- use the source as a receiver at the same time, inserting
a timestamp inside the packets, but...
you can't inject packets too fast, not only because the CPU
would be overloaded but also because your generated/received packets
would interfere with themselfs
(remember that the PCI bus and memory are shared structures).

If you are interested, I described an analysis of these problems
here:

http://www.read.cs.ucla.edu/click/publications

Software techniques for multiservice IP networks.
Giorgio Calarco. Ph.D. thesis, University of Bologna, Italy

at Chapter II.

ciao
giorgio