[Click] Measuring

Egi, Norbert n.egi at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Mar 5 11:36:29 EST 2007

Hi,

Is there any way to measure packet delay and jitter with Click?

I'm using Click's FastUDPSource to generate packets on a machine, which packets are forwarded through another machine and are counted on a third with the AverageCounter element. This works quite good for measuring the packet forwarding rate and loss of the system in the middle, but I would also like to measure the delay and jitter of the packets. I guess to do that the traffic should be generated and counted on the same machine, which isn't a problem, but what elements could be used to do that? I found the StoreTimestamp element, which stores the packet timestamps in packet data, but couldn't find any element that is able to get this timestamp out of the packet after it has been received.

Any suggestion how to do it if it's possible at all?

Many thanks,
Norbert