[Click] multithread vs. single thread

Roman Chertov rchertov at purdue.edu
Fri Jun 1 12:13:27 EDT 2007

Hello,
	Now that I am more knowledgeable about the multithreaded details I want
to ask the following question.  I have a configuration where I have two
NICs that send packets in both direction at the same rates.  In the
device driver I have a tiny bit of code which embeds timestamps into the
packets, so I know the traversal time of the packet from one card to
another (polling overheads add some noise).  As I raise the rates the
average delays increase and tend to vary from run to run.  I have tried
to use StaticThreadSched to assign ToDevice/PollDevice elements to
separate threads to reduce the noise due to polling. (the longer it
takes to schedule a PollDevice the longer the packet delay will be).
However, it appears that I get better results when I don't use any
threading at all.  I would have thought that using --enable-task-heap
and assignment of PollDevice to separate threads would have improved the
performance.  Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Roman