[Click] C++ vs the kernel

Adam M click at irotas.net
Tue Jul 24 16:40:09 EDT 2007

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 13:10:20 -0700, "Eddie Kohler" <kohler at cs.ucla.edu>
said:
> They are certainly useful for that purpose.  However, the kernel will
> also process all packets that are handed to KernelTap/Tun.  One would
> need to install firewall rules telling the kernel to ignore the packets
>   except to send them to KernelTap/Tun.  I'd love to include an element
> that did this automatically, if someone wrote one.

I think this is where I need to focus my efforts. We've used virtual
interfaces before to create something of a plug-and-play network stack,
but nothing nearly as sophisticated as Click.

Do you have a reference for a more comprehensive discussion on using
KernelTap/Tun? Maybe even an example?

Thanks again,
Adam