[Click] C++ vs the kernel

Adam M click at irotas.net
Tue Jul 24 16:33:45 EDT 2007

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 13:05:50 -0700, "Eddie Kohler" <kohler at cs.ucla.edu>
said:
> Click code is compiled with -fno-exceptions.  So if you try to use
> exceptions I would hope the compiler would complain.

What do you do if a constructor fails? Do you have to resort to
initializing objects post-construction?

> Obviously one can overload operator new() with arguments that provide
> info about interrupt context.
>
> I'm sure there are bugs re: allocation in Click.  However Click almost
> always runs in non-interrupt context; and should not allocate memory in
> interrupt context.

The phrase "almost always" disturbs me a little bit. When would the
"almost" be violated? Is that something that the Element implementer has
complete control of? (Again, I'm not much of a kernel developer, so my
questions may be naive).

Thanks again,
Adam