[Click] NotifierQueue on multi-threaded Click problem.

Jason Park (Joonwoo Park) jason at geninetworks.com
Fri Jul 20 01:50:31 EDT 2007

Hi Eddie,

Can I know status of this patch?
Please forgive me my impatience.

Jason Park (Joonwoo Park).

-----Original Message-----
From: click-bounces at pdos.csail.mit.edu [mailto:click-bounces at pdos.csail.mit.
edu] On Behalf Of Jason Park (Joonwoo Park)
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2007 10:58 AM
To: kohler at cs.ucla.edu
Cc: 'Click'
Subject: [Click] NotifierQueue on multi-threaded Click problem.

Hi.
Recently I tried multi-threaded Click to get more performance.
But I got stopped queue in a few seconds.
For the test, I connected two click installed machine with e1000 gigabit
directly as sender and replier.
The replier made problem on multi-threaded click that run_task() of
ToDevice() won't be called any more.

I worked patch for the problem and it contains.
- FullNoteQueue, NotifierQueue
 The spinlock_bh needed because of push and pull can be called
concurrently from softirq.
  But I didn't work for SimpleQueue, it might lock needed too.
- Task
  I think that the member _pending should be atomic, in more race
conditional situation, it can be problem. (You can try SLEEPNIESS_TRIGGER=1)
- Etc.
  Replace member function of SpinlockIRQ with the things from linux to
disable preempt when irq disabled. (But I didn't set CONFIG_PREEMPT for
this test)
  Add class SpinlockBH.
  Fix Master's lock. (Eddie, Am I right?)
  I'm running linux 2.6.19.2 SMP.