[Click] distributed source control

Eddie Kohler kohler at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Jul 17 16:16:03 EDT 2007

Hi Jonathan,

Jonathan Day wrote:
> Git can be irritating, in that the central repository
> must pull copies from the downstream versions, at
> least  to the best of my knowledge. The last time I
> tried git, the push command didn't do a whole lot.

Yeah; but that's no different from now with centralized CVS; if anything it
will make it easier for me to integrate patches from the list.

> It
> also doesn't integrate cleanly into bugtrackers like
> trac or project management systems such as gforge or
> collaboa.

I don't think I am going to set up a bugtracker any time soon, unfortunately.
  Although I would love it if someone on the list wanted to do this.

> Having said that, git is the only distributed source
> control system in general use. There are plenty of
> such systems, but you don't see them being used with
> nearly the same frequency as git. Some, such as arch,
> are also beginning to look like abandonware, which is
> exactly what you don't want.
>
> The other consideration has to do with synchronizing.
> Would the Linux kernel patches be kept as patches or
> provided as a patched kernel? If the former, then it
> doesn't take as much advantage of the git system as it
> could, but the latter would involve far more network
> traffic than the changes justify. As other kernels
> aren't git-aware, it's also unclear if there's a whole
> lot to be gained by only doing this with one kernel.

For the time being we will stay with the system of including the patches as
patches in the Click distribution (as that is easiest).

Eddie