[Click] element_provides and element_requires

Nele Gheysens nele.gheysens at intec.ugent.be
Mon Jul 2 03:31:16 EDT 2007

Hello,

I tried to apply the following FAQ from the trains website:

/How can I make Click compile a C++ file that doesn't contain an element?
Add an ELEMENT_PROVIDES statement to your .cc file. The Click build
process searches for C and C++ files with 'ELEMENT_PROVIDES' as well as
'EXPORT_ELEMENT'. You'll have to come up with a one-word tag describing
the functionality that your .cc file provides. See the end of
'elements/userlevel/fakepcap.cc' for an example; it looks like this:
CLICK_ENDDECLS
ELEMENT_REQUIRES(userlevel|ns)
ELEMENT_PROVIDES(FakePcap)
Elements that use the 'FakePcap' functionality explicitly require it
with ELEMENT_REQUIRES; see 'elements/userlevel/fromdump.cc' for an
example./

I followed this example, but I get a whole bunch of linker errors. Does
anyone have some experience with this?
The files on which I tried this used to be the include and lib map and
they didn't cause any problems.

Thanks,

Nele Gheysens

--