[Click] polling patch for e1000-7.3.20

Nicholas Weaver nweaver at ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Jan 19 15:33:42 EST 2007

On Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 02:26:41PM -0500, Roman Chertov composed:
> Nicholas Weaver wrote:
> >Suggestions?
>
> Try to comment out everything between e1000_irq_disable(adapter) and
> dev->polling = 2; in e1000_poll_on.  I've noticed that on my machine the
> driver doesn't transmit with these lines.  It appears that it fails to
> reinitialize.  This is one the PCI-E 82571EB dual port card.

Thanks, this worked.  (e1000_poll_on being a function in the driver).

Except...

Now it seems to freeze up after about ~60 (usually 62) packets on the
input.  This seems to be an input freeze rather than a queue full
freeze, as packets are going in/out of the queue.

(reverse Roman's changs, reinstall and reboot and the input is no
longer feezing up, but then the output doesn't work... ).

Now for what I'm going to do TODAY I'm OK, as I'm using different
ports for inputs and outputs (its load balancing for an IDS), but I'd
like to figure out what/how to get this working in general.

Nicholas C. Weaver                               nweaver at icsi.berkeley.edu
     This message has been ROT-13 encrypted twice for higher security.