[Click] polling patch for e1000-7.3.20

Massimiliano Poletto maxp at mazunetworks.com
Wed Jan 17 13:20:29 EST 2007

Your procedure is close, but not exactly right.  See comments below.

On 1/17/07, Nicholas Weaver <nweaver at icsi.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> Full install Fedora Core (I'm going to use Core 6).

Mazu uses Fedora, but I doubt the distribution matters.

> Get the 2.6.16.13 kernel from kernel.org

Remember to apply the click linux kernel patch
(click/etc/linux-2.6.16.13-patch).

> Configure the kernel using the .config from /lib/modules/VERSION/build etc.

That will probably work.  Note however that Mazu currently uses
2.6.16.22 (the same (2.6.16.13) click linux patch applies), and we had
to tweak the .config because of problems with timers and e1000
performance on an SMP P4 Xeon system.  YMMV, but we did this:

disable CONFIG_APM (advanced power management)
disable CONFIG_CPU_FREQ (cpu frequency scaling)
disable CONFIG_X86_PM_TIMER

and then a couple cpu-specific options that gave us a ~5% speed-up on
our system:

CONFIG_PENTIUM4=y (instead of CONFIG_M686)
CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT=7
CONFIG_X86_INTEL_USERCOPY=y

I can send you our .config if it helps, but I suspect results will
vary depending on your platform.

> Install the driver e1000-7.3.20 from sourecforge.

Apply Matt's patch to the driver sources, not to the Click build
directory.  The files in click/drivers/e1000-* already have (the old)
patches applied against them.

Assuming you untar the sourceforge package into /usr/src/e1000-7.3.20, then
cd /usr/src/e1000-7.3.20; patch -p1 < /path/to/e1000-7.3.20-patch
should work.

> Compile and build the kernel (to make sure its working)
>
> Grab click from CVS

Presumably you alrleady did this to get the kernel patch.  But now you
can configure and make install.

> Run a simple FromDevice/ToDevice test to make sure its happy.

s/From/Poll/

I think that will do it.

max