[Click] Problem sending VLAN tagged packets reply

Johannes Lauesen jlauesen at pulz8.com
Tue Feb 13 17:50:53 EST 2007

-> OK, I'm trying to add a VLAN tag on all packets.  Of course, for MTU
-> packets, this adds 4 bytes.

-> So I'm getting a bunch of
-> ToDevice(eth5) send: Message too long
-> errors from these now "overlength" packets.

-> However, these are NOT overlength, as MTU for ethernet is +4 bytes
for
-> VLAN tagged packets.  Suggestions?

I use VLAN in click setups, but I use the vlan-utils for it:

vconfig add eth5 100 (where 100 is the VLAN ID)
ifconfig eth5.100 up ( not needed if you have up'ed your eth5 if
allready )

and then run click config...
This works very well for my setup, but if you need to handle the VLAN
tag for some reason in click you'll have a problem using this method.

Best Regards Johannes Lauesen