[Click] 1.6.0 release

Eddie Kohler kohler at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Aug 28 14:39:35 EDT 2007

Hi Roman,

Many apologies for the delay, but I have finally looked at your ToDevice
patch for reducing packet drops.

On the one hand, this patch seems like a good idea.  I agree with you
that ToDevice should not drop packets itself, that they should be
dropped upstream.

On the other hand, though, ToDevice is written expecting that the
network device _dev will SAY when it's going to reject a packet, by
stopping its input queue.  I think this is the expected behavior from a
Linux device.  I think we generally tried to engineer our devices and
configs so that ToDevice never rejected a packet.

Which device are you using that's rejecting packets even though its
queue is open?  Or, alternatively, is it common for devices to reject
packets w/o stopping their queues first?  If the problem is with the
device, it would seem better to fix that.

Eddie