[Click] Click packet size

Eddie Kohler kohler at cs.ucla.edu
Mon Aug 27 17:33:24 EDT 2007

Hi Roman,

At least some of the extra bytes are for, e.g., VLANs (although I can't
remember at the moment whether VLANs actually change the mtu).  We also
add some slack to reduce "expensive pushes" and "expensive puts", where
there isn't enough room in a packet for an additional header (in case
the packet is being fragmented, or sent out on another link technology).
  But mostly I think it's just historical accident.

Eddie