[Click] question about linuxmodule/fromdevice

Eddie Kohler kohler at cs.ucla.edu
Mon Aug 27 16:59:40 EDT 2007

Hi Mythili,

(1) You should probably be using a more current version of Click
(git/cvs) -- as should anyone :)

(2) Click's interrupt-based network path, which is what you are using
with FromDevice, is NOT designed for speed or low latency.  It is
designed for simplicity and correctness.  If you need low latency, you
can either go the route suggested by Roman Chertov and change the device
driver yourself, or (perhaps easier) use Click in polling mode with
PollDevice.  The polling path is much lower latency.  However, polling
mode only works for certain network cards, including Intel e1000.

Eddie