[Click] dynamic ticket adjustments in FromDevice and ToDevice

Eddie Kohler kohler at cs.ucla.edu
Mon Sep 18 22:03:38 EDT 2006

Hi Frederic,

I think you have now graduated :) but I wanted to respond to this mail.

Your analysis of CLICK_DEVICE_ADJUST_TICKETS isn't quite on the money, since
that symbol is always defined.  But -- well, here's a comment from FromDevice.

     // 9/18/06: Frederic Van Quickenborne reports (1/24/05) that ticket
     // adjustments in FromDevice+ToDevice cause odd behavior.  The ticket
     // adjustments actually don't feel necessary to me in From/ToDevice any
     // more, since FromDevice's interrupt handler will reschedule FromDevice
     // as necessary; now "ticket adjustment" is subsumed by "scheduled or not
     // scheduled".  So commenting this out.

At this point FromDevice does not adjust its tickets, and non-polling-mode
ToDevice does not adjust its tickets either.

If anyone sees weird behavior as a result, please LET THE LIST KNOW!

Thanks much,
Eddie