[Click] Programming in CLICK

Bob Keyes bob at sinister.com
Tue Sep 12 13:09:00 EDT 2006

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, [UTF-8] ﻯﻮﻠﻫﺩ ﺮﻤï»^K wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am new to click and I plan to use click for development. I wanted
> to know from your experiences as to how long it would take to set things
> up to be able to run a simple click program.

Omer,
If you look at the sample programs, you will find that elementary click
usage is fairly simple, assuming you hae experience with other object
oriented programming languages. I would suggest that, after reading the
examples and text, you could have your first functional click program in
fifteen minutes.

> Also I wanted to know if there is any specific software/hardware/OS that is
> required to run click (other than click itself) ?

You will need a Linux or BSD system. I recommend starting off with Linux.
You will also need to compile Click from source, as I don't know of any
binariy packages that are up-to-date. I would suggest starting with the
userlevel Click before trying to get kernel module click functional.

Hardware requirements are minimal, if you are simply trying to learn
Click. A 500 mhz Pentium III with 256MB of ram and a 20GB hard
drive could suffice. Specific applications may be more demanding. For
instance, if you are trying to use WiFi functions, you will want an
Atheros based WiFi card.

I wish there was an O'Reilly book for Click. Anyone working on one?