[Click] tx timeout fix

Adam Greenhalgh a.greenhalgh at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Tue Sep 5 05:02:36 EDT 2006

Hi Srivas,

> I've been lately testing the timeout fixes you had posted on a
> click-patched 2.6.16.13 kernel. The results therefrom still seem to show
> stability problems. Though the timeouts don't occur predictably or as
> often as before, I still encounter them and kernel panics randomly, and
> with a higher probability when testing with high loads. Notably, I see
> these problems well pronounced with bidirectional (full-duplex)
> operation of the driver, both with FromDevice and PollDevice. I've
> tested the 5.x driver patch as well as the 6.1.16.62.DB version patch,
> and seen similar results.

More detailed error reports etc would be great.

> Please do let me know of the details of a stable 2.6.x configuration
> that you were able to set up using these patches. Further, any idea if
> and when the fixes will eventually get in to the main source tree of the
> e1000 driver on sourceforge?

It was a vanillia 2.6.16.13 build if i remember rightly. It is very
unlikely these fixes will make the mainline sourceforge tree, as these
fixes were fairly click specific. Have you been following the e1000
list on sourceforge or the generic netdev list about the e1000 driver
as there are a number of issues with the base driver that are causing
tx time out problems which are being fixed either in the driver or as
a modification to the eeprom.

Beyers, do you have a further take on this ?

Thanks

Adam