[Click] drops in FromDevice element

Guido Alejandro Gavilanes ggavilanes at gmail.com
Fri Nov 24 11:13:00 EST 2006

Hello!
First I would like to thank you for your support last week. I have
been trying some ethernet tests by forwarding frames from one
interface to another as before, and I find that with more or less 8000
packets per second on the ethernet input interface, the entire system
started to loose ethernet frames; So I started to monitor input
ethernet interface and found the drop counter (from
/proc/click/FromDevice\@7/drops) increasing and increasing, when I
slow down the load, slightly, the counter doesnt increase.
Reading FromDevice documentation I see FromDevice element passes
packets taken from a queue to its output and I was wondering if these
drops are lost due to an overflow in such internal queue.

I tried using BURST parameter in order to have this queue most empty
as possible on each polling cycle, but I does not seem to have an
effect on observations.

What can I do to decrease these drops? any suggestions?
Thank you very much!
Guido