[Click] Silly question and bug report...

Eddie Kohler kohler at cs.ucla.edu
Wed May 3 01:43:16 EDT 2006

Hey Nick,

Nicholas Weaver wrote:
> a)  Minor bug report.
>
> 	If click-buildtool can't properly create an element because
> something it requires doesn't exist, it currently just ignores the
> element without producing any report/notice of the error.
>
> 	(this was what my problem was).

This is the intended behavior: elements that cannot be included because of
missing requirements are silently ignored.  For example, this means that you
can put userlevel-specific elements in whatever directory you choose and Click
won't complain.  If you feel strongly about this feel free to say so, I
suppose the work of (f)art that is click-buildtool could be given an option to
report why an element was ignored.

> b)  Silly question, what replaces...
>
>     virtual void notify_ninputs(int) CLICK_ELEMENT_PORT_COUNT_DEPRECATED;
>     virtual void notify_noutputs(int) CLICK_ELEMENT_PORT_COUNT_DEPRECATED;
>
> etc?  Is there a guide to changes between the release version and the
> current CVS snapshot?

The port_count() method.  Check out the NEWS file, which is semi-up-to-date.
port_count() has documentation; see:

http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/click/doxygen/classElement.html#e5b51c221451df6a3045f7e523c2e892

Eddie