[Click] click on 2.6 kernel stability

Beyers Cronje bcronje at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 20:46:21 EST 2006

Hi everyone,

Is anyone running a stable click kernel implementation on a 2.6 kernel?
Using current cvs code with e1000-5.x polling driver I managed to compile
and run on 2.6.13.2 but the system is very unstable. I'm running a basic
config for testing:

PollDevice(eth0) -> ToHost;
Idle -> ToDevice(eth0);

Input and output seems to hang every now and again with the odd complete
system hang. The only error messages I get are loads of the following:

NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
e1000: eth0: e1000_watchdog_1: NIC Link is Up 100 Mbps Full Duplex
NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
e1000: eth0: e1000_watchdog_1: NIC Link is Up 100 Mbps Full Duplex

This only occurs when click module is installed, when I unload click module
everything works fine. ethtool indicates the link is always up.
Watchdog never actually reports that the link ever went down, so could this
indicate an irq conflict or race condition of some sort? Any ideas on where
to begin troubleshooting this?

Thanks

Beyers