[Click] Load balancing - packet reordering

Torquato Bertani torquato at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 13:16:12 EST 2006

> Out of order packets are going to be a fact of life.

:)

> Question:  Why is reordering such a problem for you?
> Is it intra-stream or inter-stream reordering thats the problem?

The problem is intra-stream, obviously. If I send a UDP stream (real
time audio or video for example) I need it reordered before passing it
to superior layers. Otherwise I have many malfunctions because
superior layers don't like very much out of order data...also tcp
throughput decrease due to out of order packets.

At the moment I'm working on a ethernet configuration but my idea is
to load balance different wireless interfaces. Wifi transmission
problems make the % of out of order packets very high (20-30% in some
rapid tests).

I forgot to write another idea in previos post: marking packets at the
tx side and use the number to reorder them at rx side.
I got some ideas from the MPLS protocol but I don't want to implement
a real complex protocol.

Torquato