[Click] Load balancing - packet reordering

Torquato Bertani torquato at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 12:37:57 EST 2006

Hi all,
I'd like to realize a configuration that permit to do load balancing
between two or more devices.

eth0--|

I realized a very simple configuration that put everything that I need
to transmit in a queue element and connected it to two devices;

outqueue::Queue();
outqueue -> ToDevice(eth1);
outqueue -> ToDevice(eth2);

This work fine, I can send almost double.

At the other side I have a simmetric configuration:

FromDevice(eth1) -> c0::Classifier();
FromDevice(eth2) -> c0;

This also work, the problem is that I got a very large number of
"out-of-order packet". It's obvious but I don't know how to resolve
the problem. I thought to write an element that can reorder the
recived packets based on their IP sequence number/IP source. What do
you think about that idea? Any better suggestion? Does click have an
alternative way to do that?