[Click] Problem with new linux 2.6.16.13 patch

Beyers Cronje bcronje at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 20:44:06 EDT 2006

Hi Eddie,

I'm getting a kernel null pointer dereference running the new
linux-2.6.16.13-patch from CVS when using any packet cloning features in
click kernel module, such as Tee. The crash is reproducible on my system
pushing packets through the following click kernel config (I've only tested
FromDevice and not PollDevice):

fd0 :: FromDevice(eth0, PROMISC true);
fd1 :: FromDevice(eth1, PROMISC true);
s :: EtherSwitch;
w0 :: Queue -> td0 :: ToDevice(eth0);
w1 :: Queue -> td1 :: ToDevice(eth1);

fd0 -> t0 :: Tee(2) -> [0]s[0] -> w0;
fd1 -> t1 :: Tee(2) -> [1]s[1] -> w1;
t0[1] -> Discard;
t1[1] -> Discard;

Note if I remove the Tee elements from the above config no crash occurs and
everything runs beautifully. Another note, if I revert back to click 1.5.0's
linux-2.6.16.13-patch but still using CVS click  there is no crash using the
above config, this seems to indicate the new 2.6.16.13 patch introduced a
bug.

Below the crash error and edited call trace:

Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000030

Call Trace:
cache_flusharray
kfree
kfree_skbmem