[Click] [Madwifi-users] RSSI values reported by click printwifi

Matt Brown matt at mattb.net.nz
Thu Jun 15 22:14:25 EDT 2006

Robert Owen wrote:
> I had read both before. That's where I learned the %*60 conversion.
> What I want to make sure is, what's the unit of RSSI values reported by
> click or madwifi driver.
> Highest value I get is 40+ (two nodes close to each other), so I guess
> it may not be the %.
> When I use Airopeek, it gives both % and dBm values. But I'm not sure
> about click and madwifi.

RSSI == Received Signal Strength Indication

It's an arbitrary value chosen by the card to indicate the strength of
the signal. You can't compare an Atheros RSSI to the RSSI from another card.

If you take the time to read the document I suggested in my previous
email it details the formula you can use to convert from the Atheros
RSSI to dBm. You can then compare dBm to the values you are getting from
other cards. It's basically a single subtraction...

Cheers

--
Matt Brown
matt at mattb.net.nz