[Click] package reordering - ATM:IP reassembly

Koen Beel koen.beel at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 06:50:33 EDT 2006

Hi all,

I'm working on a project (Package Reassembly Server, PRS) and have
some problems.

A summary of the functions of the PRS:
-receive packages from its interfaces (2, 4 or 8, depending on the
configuration) containing: a small header, a time reference and some
ATM-cells

-reorder these packages in increasing time. Also, for every package:
wait at least 30ms to see if a package with an earlier timestamp
arrives.
->> tis is my first problem: i don't know how to start solving this ...

-when packages a reordered, i need to reassemble the IP packets
contained in the ATM cells (1 ip packet is spread out over more than
one atm cell). Here i have to group the ATM cells folowing the
VPI/VCI-numbers and wait until i have a full IP packet (or timeout
after some seconds).
This problem is somewhat like reassembling fragmented IP packets: wait
until all packets from some 'connection' have arrived and then
reassemble them.
->> this is my second problem: how should i keep track of all the
current connections, temporarily storing incomplete packets?

And: is there anywhere, besides http://www.read.cs.ucla.edu/click ,
where i can find usefull packages for click? (e.g. for ATM / AAL5)

[I'm new to Click]

Thanks in advance,
Koen