[Click] e1000 driver timeout with 2.6.x

Srivas Chennu chennu at hhi.fhg.de
Mon Jul 3 11:03:24 EDT 2006

Hello all,

I'm a relatively new click user trying to build and test a link layer
protocol using Click. My test runs used the click kernel module built
from the latest CVS sources. On a patched 2.6.16.13 kernel with an
original Intel PRO/1000 MT dual port GbE NIC for a click configuration
using FromDevice, the driver abruptly times out during Tx and resets
with messages like those below:

e1000: eth1: e1000_clean_tx_irq: Detected Tx Unit Hang
Tx Queue             <0>
TDH                  <97>
TDT                  <9a>
next_to_use          <9a>
next_to_clean        <95>
buffer_info[next_to_clean]
time_stamp           <e66ae>
next_to_watch        <97>
jiffies              <e6b71>
next_to_watch.status <0>
Eventually I see in the log file:

NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth1: transmit timed out
e1000: eth1: e1000_watchdog: NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex

Interestingly, this timeout-and-reset problem does not occur when
running my click configuration at the userlevel, but reproduces quite
easily with the kernel module, even when the NIC is working at low
packet Rx rates. All configuration parameters to the e1000 modules are
at their defaults, and my attempts with parameters suggested in a
(https://amsterdam.lcs.mit.edu/pipermail/click/2006-March/004690.html)
for similar problems didn't help.

Any pointers to solving this problem are appreciated,

Thanks in advance,
Srivas.

--
Meet us at

OC&I 2006 and NOC 2006: 10.-13.7.06 at HHI Berlin, Germany
IFA: 1.-6.9.06, Berlin, Germany