[Click] Performances and Ethernet Pro 100 Support

Sébastien LAVEZE slaveze at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 08:58:35 EST 2006

Hi,
I've been testing click in pure IP forwarding and I would like to know it
these results seem to be "normal"

The test PC is a low performance PC in order to be able to extrapolize
performances on an embedded system
Intel Celeron 433 with 128 Ram and two 82557/8/9 Ethernet Pro 100 Cards
The test is performed in full duplex

The results are
Linux NAPI ==> 110K pps
Click in kernel mode ==> 54K pps

I thought that these NICS were supported in polling mode but apparently not,
Click  says polling isn't supported

Do u think by adding the polling support I could achieve really better
performances (better than Linux with NAPI)??
And if yes do u have a guideline on what to modify in the drivers ??
By the way i'm using Linux 2.6.13.2

Thanks
Sebastien