[Click] nsclick updates

Eddie Kohler kohler at cs.ucla.edu
Sun Jan 8 18:16:47 EST 2006

Hi all,

I have just updated Mike Neufeld's nsclick patches so that nsclick compiles,
and appears to work, with the current versions of Click and the NS simulator
(v 2.29).

Among other things, I changed the nsclick patch to optionally work off a Click
installation (rather than requiring source access), and removed the libnet
dependency.

I would appreciate feedback.  The nsclick patch is included in the current CVS
repository, in etc/ns-2.29-patch.  The installation instructions are below,
excerpted from INSTALL.

Mike, if this works for you, would you mind removing the patch you distribute
and pointing to the one in our CVS?

Thanks,
Eddie

NS MODULE
---------

Support for integrating Click with the NS simulator was originally
developed by Michael Neufeld at the University of Colorado.

To compile a Click-enabled version of the NS simulator, you must first
configure and install Click with NS support.  Change to the Click source
directory and run

         ./configure [--prefix=CLICKPREFIX] [other options] --enable-ns
         make install

Now, prepare to compile the NS simulator.  This may involve first compiling
and installing several external packages, such as tclcl and otcl.  Then
unpack the latest version of NS; we provide a patch for version 2.29, but
the patch may apply to later versions.  Apply the appropriate patch from
Click's etc/ directory, like so:

         cd ns-VERSION
         patch -p1 < CLICKDIR/etc/ns-VERSION-patch

Now configure NS, supplying the prefix you installed for Click.

         ./configure [--prefix=PREFIX] --with-click=CLICKPREFIX

Compile and install NS.  To test nsclick, run the ns simulator on one of
the sample scripts we provide:

         cd ns-VERSION/tcl/ex
         ns nsclick-simple-lan.tcl

Please note that the NS patch no longer requires libnet.