[Click] Burster(I,N) -> ToDevice(eth0)

Eddie Kohler kohler at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Feb 28 22:41:34 EST 2006

Hi Sedi.

Lesedi wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> I ran into another problem.I am using userlevel and I want my click code to
> implement something like
>
> Queue(2000) -> Burster(i,n) ->  ToDevice(eth0);
>
>>From what i know of click so far i cannot connect Burster to ToDevice
> because its pull-push conected to pull which is wrong.In my project i want
> to output to eth0 a burst of packets per interval which a Burster element
> does.Now I dont know how to play around click to do that.

If you connect the Burster to another Queue, then the downstream ToDevice will
get those packets pretty much when the Burster lets them through:

Queue(2000) -> Burster(i,n) -> Queue(n) -> ToDevice(eth0);

Alternatively you could write a version of Burster that acted more like a
Shaper, i.e., had pullinputs and outputs.

> One thing also that i dont understand is ,when i put Print(ok) like below,it
> does not print out.
>
> Queue(2000) -> Print(ok) -> Burster(1,10) -> Discard;
>
> My click code so far is
>
> ... -> EtherEncap ( ) -> Queue( ) ->Print(ok) -> Burster( ) -> ToDevice( );
>
> and ofcourse its not working.Do you have any idea on how i can go about
> making it to give me the same results as the literal implementation above.

This I don't know.  Are you sure that packets are ever entering the Queue?

InfiniteSource -> Queue -> Print(ok) -> Burster(1,10) -> Discard

works fine.

Eddie