[Click] [OT] - Any suggestions on what hardware to buy?

Beyers Cronje bcronje at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 17:36:42 EDT 2006

Hi Alastair,

It's definately not all gloom :) My major problem at this stage is that I
get hard locks while running the polling driver. It's the same e1000 card I
used in old MB on 2.4 kernel, but on 2.6 with new MB this problem creeped
in. I've tried different polling drivers, studied the polling code etc but
havent pick up anything so far. There might be a chance that the NIC got
damaged, but then it's working perfectly under normal NAPI mode. I know some
people are running polling on 2.6 without any problems.

The greedy option which allows you to run click in kernel mode without
releasing the cpu back to linux (on SMP systems) seems to cause a hard lock
as well, on my system anyways. This should be more easy to troubleshoot (I
think), but I havent the time nor enough knowledge of the 2.6 scheduler to
look at the right now. Can anyone else run greedy option successfully on 2.6?

Then Eddie mentioned some issues on a previous post
https://amsterdam.lcs.mit.edu/pipermail/click/2006-March/004697.html

But as I said, it's not all gloom. I'm running a stable kernel module,
albeit using FromDevice instead of PollDevice on 2.6:)

Cheers

Beyers